Thursday 27 February 2014

The Sermon on The Monument

alright, I can't take any credit for this post! about five years ago I got a letter in the mail from, who was at that time, my Missionary Brother, Garth! the other day I was looking for some paper work and came across it again! when I read it again it made just as much impact on me as it did the first time!


my brother Garth served his mission in Colorado, and at the time he wrote the letter was close to the famous monument valley thus he entitled his letter to me the Sermon on the Monument!
The Sermon on the Monument
Dear Little Brother
How is your personal scripture study going? That is really the most important thing you can be doing right now. I will be honest and tell you that during the beginning of high school I didn't read my scriptures enough or barely at all. Instead I was at basketball or football practice or having fun with my friends. Now don't get me wrong, there isn't anything bad with playing basketball or other sports that take up time and keep you busy and fit but looking back I see that the best thing I could have been doing was reading the book of Mormon time and time again,  taking time to pray throughout the day and attending all my church activities. So I guess my advice is don't get stuck being too busy to do the most important thing. What is the most important thing? Well when I was in high school it was making the football, basketball or rugby team and putting all my energy into it so that I would be the top of the team and an asset to the team and make my family proud. But was that really the most important thing? Of course not! I had lost sight of what would really make me an asset to others, what would really benefit me by putting all my energy into it and what would make my family even more proud and happy than anything else could, Preparing to serve a mission! I can tell you that mom and dad and brothers will love to watch you play sports but they would much rather watch you go forth into a different place and spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

 Let's look at it this way, when I played basketball there was three important parts that made me a better and more prepared player the first was practicing studying and living the sport. During basketball season I would practice two or three hours a day, look through the plays and game plans my coach had given me and keep them in my mind all day and all night. I found that when It was game time I would be more focused because I had kept the plays and skills in my mind all week. the second was asking my coach for advice or heeding his criticism. When I needed help with my shot or my left hand dribble I could always ask my coach for help and he would direct me on how I could improve and be stronger. Once again I saw a huge improvement when it was game day because those things that had been weaknesses had become strengths. the third was attending the games, Obviously! It wouldn't make much sense, or any sense at all, to practice and ask coach for advice if I never went to the games, and so is with the gospel.


There are three main things that we can do to be a more prepared son or daughter of God. They are as follows First, practice or study. Studying the book of Mormon is so important. As we study it we not only get a better understanding of the stories found in the book of Mormon but we gain a greater knowledge of its truth and divinity. When we know the book of Mormon is true we realize; Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God because he translated it. We learn that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is Christ's one and living organized church on the earth, we also come to know that Christ is the son of God and our Savior and that he lives and loves us! Will you read the book of Mormon 30 minutes each and every day

 Second, Ask our coach for help or pray. We have a loving and caring Heavenly Father who wants us to succeed and be happy. We need to pray always and if we don't feel like praying then it means we need to pray until we do feel like praying. Make sense? Will you pray morning and night each and everyday?

Third, attend the big game or go to church! Just like we wouldn't practice and not go to the game the same goes for life we will obviously attend church. Church is just like the big game in sports. It is the most important time of the week. The sacrament is the whole reason we attend church. The blessing and honor it is to partake of the emblems of Christ's atonement each week easily outweighs any football game on TV, any school play practice or even sleeping in a few more hours. Christ is our savior and as we partake of the sacrament we can have the same cleansing effect as we did at baptism. Will you continue to attend church, seminary, Young men's and other church activities each and every week?

Be wise and learned from my youthful folly, the most important thing is Jesus Christ. Living our life in constant remembrance of him and always doing what he asks will bring us happiness, real happiness! Happiness that we can't find in basketball season, watching TV or even sleeping. Once again I wish to reiterate that there is nothing inherently wrong with sports or television or rest but when they come between us and Jesus Christ they present a problem.
With Love, your older Brother

W.M.I.? Read scriptures daily, Pray multi-daily, and partake of the sacrament weekly!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to look back on these words some 5 years later and see that these things are still the most important. Funny how that works!

    ReplyDelete