Thursday 13 February 2014

Thankful-tude!

This is a lesson I have had to learn on many occasions! (I tend to have to re-learn certain lessons over and over.) this one stands out in my mind as I recently had to re-learn it in the same way as the first time, however that will be addressed latter on in my ramblings.
I remember the first time I learned a lesson on gratitude. I was about 5 or 6 or somewhere else in that general area. I remember it being Christmas morning, and going through my families Christmas Morning routine, wake up at 4 and watch info-mmercials on TV while waiting for 7:00am to roll around so we could wake up Mom and Dad, 7:01 came around and we were finally aloud to go down stairs and look at presents. look not touch! (Christmas is hectic as it is, but when you add 8 kids some in-laws and grand-kids it surpassed crazy, so to counter the insanity we took extra time to enjoy taking turns to open gifts (I am not aware if this is common practice or not, but it is all I have been exposed to!)) well about the 3rd or fourth rotation I opened a gift from my older brother, Garth. upon opening it I found a tackle box for organizing my legos. (pay attention this is the part where I learn my first lesson in gratitude) I remember opening it up and saying something along the lines of "ahh man! I wanted to use it for my K'nex not my lego." (yes, yes I do realize both lego and K'nex are way out of date however, for the record, they are still the best toys around) well that didn't impress my older brother, Jace (stay with me here I have 5 older brothers so it may get confusing) at all! He picked me up and ran me upstairs into my bed room! he told me very simply "That was the wrong thing to say, you need to learn to be grateful for what you have!"
that memory is still very vivid in my mind. perhaps not the words spoken as much as the lesson learned! from this experience I learned the importance of being grateful for all you do have and saying thank-you for those things! I learned to express gratitude often even for the little things (which usually turn out to be the big things) 
well I mentioned earlier I learned this same lesson recently! I received a package the other day (a rarity in day to day life, a miracle in the life of a missionary) upon opening the box I found written upon the wrapping a reference to a scripture, Luke 17:11-19! (I will give you time to read it.................the link here will take you to the scripture!) before opening the package I looked up this scripture, thinking it was some sort of guessing game and some sort of clue as to the contents of the package was to be provided in the verses! The clue didn't inform me what was in the package itself, however it did show me what was and what was NOT in my heart! this package was sent to me by my older brother..... Jace! (fitting isn't it?) (by the way, I did write a letter in response expressing how much the package meant)
well, it is easy to look at this scripture and say "well if something like that ever happened to me I would be grateful!" or "well who on earth wouldn't say thank you for such a miracle?"

I had to look in side myself and ask "how many miraculous gifts do I receive every day that I may forget to say Thank you for?" I see miracles in my life every day, things that I have no control over just go my way for some reason, and I often find my self forgetting to tell my Father in Heaven thank you for the many blessings I receive! (for example the letter of thanks I wrote back took me a couple weeks (and another reminder to be grateful from my daily scripture study!)!) I plan on developing a true attitude of gratitude, it takes effort but I believe it is worth it! saying thank you tends to be a good way to put a smile on someones face and I am a firm believer in more smiling faces!

I have so many things to be grateful for. A loving family. Wonderful friends. people reading my blog. The Scriptures. The chance to pray and speak with my Heavenly Father. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints which brings so much joy into my life. the opportunity I have to serve as a missionary for my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. most importantly for the atonement of Jesus Christ, which provides a way back to live with Him again!

W.M.I.? loose the attitude. gain some gratitude. this has been my platitude!

P.S. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment