Thursday 10 April 2014

I Can't Sing

while in my childhood I watched all my brothers play sports! Basketball season, football season, rugby season, volleyball season, ect. ect. I sat in our high school gym (and our field as the case may be) and watched them play whatever it was! naturally I thought I was going to follow, as I have mentioned heretofore I have tried my best to follow in the footsteps of my brothers! alas, I was foiled in my plan when I found a hidden (I am sure if you asked my family it wasn't very hidden) talent! I was asked to participate in Speech and Drama! (if I could sing I am sure I would have enjoyed that but because I can't sing I speak..... (pretty great talent isn't it, I can talk)) I loved my time on stage and the lessons I learned from that time! I learned a great deal about myself in my experiences in the theater! I enjoyed performing and being on stage a great deal, I found more success and joy in these experiences than I ever would have playing on a sports team! (not that don't enjoy time on the court, I still love playing a game of pickup any time) I also have been blessed to know that my family and friends found as much joy as I did watching me on stage!

any way back to the lesson that I wanted to share with you (I honestly could go on for an entire blog post about different thought and feelings I had about the stage. but we will save that for future blogs!) this particular lesson will start with a choice I had to make in high school! a choice I already mentioned in this blog! in grade ten I made the difficult choice for me to take the path of speech and drama over a path of athletics! I love both fields in a great abundance but for the sake of time I had to choose one over the other! and so I ventured down the theatrical side of my life! and how much fun it was! I loved performing Shakespeare, reciting Robert Frost, entertaining with the words of various writers! seeing people laugh, smile, gasp, and even cry while I performed brought great joy to my heart!

while most of my activity in the theater was outside and separate from my schooling  I did eventually audition for my grade 10 (or tenth grade for those of you not from Canada) high school spring play! I had memorized and practiced my monologue and felt very prepared! I got in my audition with the drama teacher and performed to the best of my ability! after answering a few other questions and providing the times I am busy and wouldn't be able to attend rehearsals I was left awaiting a response! a few days later I was sitting in math class and was called down to the main office! I remember going through my week, trying to figure out which assignment I hadn't handed in to which teacher! (if you ask my mom she will tell you that list was much to long to narrow down. and she would be right) when I arrived in the office I saw that Greg, the drama teacher was sitting waiting for me! he commended my audition and asked me about my schedule, he noted that I had marked the entire day for Sunday as unavailable, he asked if that could be adjusted as rehearsals would run on Sunday quite regular! I responded and let him know that Sunday was a special and sacred day where I will not participate in worldly activities on that day! he nodded his head and shook my hand!

I would love to be able to tell you that he respected my decision and despite this action, gave me a role in the cast! such was not the case! the next day the cast was posted in the hall and my name was no where to be found! I would also like to say that things changed in the future and I was permitted a part in later years, again this did not happen! I was a little disappointed... I had heard all these stories where minds were change by such a bold action! I remember wondering if I should have swayed my position a little in order to get a minor role! I remember wondering if I should have played basketball instead! I remained in this state of wondering for about a week, then I got a call from the leader of a local theatrical company, the tale spinners! she asked me if I could spare two hours twice a week and participate with her and the tale spinners! two hours a week on Wednesday and Friday vs. two hours a day seven days a week..... A major role in a group of seven or a minor role in a group of 40...... seemed like an obvious blessing to me that the lord was mindful of my efforts and my choices! (also it should be noted that I enjoyed the script better anyway.... and the members of the cast as well!)

It was reaffirmed to me in this experience that the lord truly does provide a way for us to fulfill his commandments (1st Nephi 3:7) The Sabbath day is a Holy day and there are blessings in keeping it scared! The Lord loves His children and is mindful of their needs and even desires! He wants us to have joy in this life, and will honour our righteous requests as He sees fit! I know that He has been watching over me, and that as I live faithful to Him he will bless me beyond my ability to comprehend!

WMI? Righteous Obedience Opens the Wondows of Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment